With the government yet to finalise whole-of-government guidelines for the use by federal agencies of Section 313(3) of the Telecommunications Act to block Australians’ access to websites, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has moved to develop internal guidelines on its use of the power.
telecommunications act - News, Features, and Slideshows
Almost three years after the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) discovered that notices it had issued to a number of telecommunications carriers had led to the erroneous blocking of hundreds of thousands of websites for some Internet users, the government has yet to develop guidelines for use of the controversial legal mechanism.
A report by parliament's Standing Committee on Infrastructure and Communications has rejected calls for limits to be imposed on the use of the Section 313(3) of the Telecommunications Act 1997 to block access to online services.
The Australian Federal Police have primarily issued notices under Section 313 of the Telco Act to request Internet service providers block their customers' access to websites hosting child exploitation material.
Government agencies issuing notices under section 313(3) of the Telecommunications Act 1997 asking Internet services providers to block websites does not constitute "a policy of broad-based internet filtering", the Department of Communications has argued.
- Emerging Cyber Threat Summit | Cybersecurity strategy for business leaders in the digital age | 6-8 June | Sydney | Get the agenda
- Network Professionals Survey with Computerworld Australia Enter this survey and you could WIN one (1) of two (2) Microsoft Surface Pro 4 128GB Tablet valued at AU$999 each. *Terms & Conditions Apply
- Advanced endpoint protection test report : Download Now
- CSO Webinar: Business Email Compromise | Head of Fraud Risk Strategy - ANZ Bank, Australian Centre for Cyber Security & more | Register now
- Security Exhibition & Conference | Intelligent Strategies for Australia’s Security Industry 26-28 July 2017 | ICC Sydney, Darling Harbour | Find out more
- 22 Experts Share How to Communicate Security Program Effectiveness to Upper Management : Download Now
- Translating Security Leadership into Board Value : Download Now
- Everything You Need to Know About Cyber Threats But Were Too Afraid To Ask: Download Now