Service providers, rights holders and internet users are anxiously awaiting news of whether the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT) will further appeal the decision against it today by the Federal Court, but both the industry body and defendant iiNet are clear on a single message: The Federal Government must step in.
AFACT - News, Features, and Slideshows
The economic impact of movie piracy equated to $1.37 billion in lost revenue to the Australian economy and 6,100 jobs forgone over the 12 months to July 2010, according to a new report from the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT).
The loose-knit confederation of internet activists who organise under the banner "Anonymous" have launched a renewed distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack against the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT) this week as part of "Operation Payback".
The Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT) has welcomed a US Federal Court ruling that popular peer-to-peer file sharing service, LimeWire and its operators, are liable for inducement of copyright infringement.
iiNet senior counsellor, Richard Cobden, has told the Federal Court of Australia that although 97,000 copyright infringements have been allegedly detected within its customer base there is only adequate evidence to hold one user liable. The comments formed part of the closing arguments in the civil case with the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT).
- Simple plans, tailored to your users and you could save up to 25%*. Join the network for game changers.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how IT is evolving from producer to enabler, and fostering collaboration around analytics.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how to create an analytics environment that is governed, scalable and self-serve.
- Tackle complex IT challenges and solve real business problems | Crush complexity and manage your systems and apps. Get Ready - Red Hat Ansible
- Free Whitepaper! The 5 criteria to help you select the right analytics platform for your organization.