- 15 May 2019 00:17
Survey: One in Four APAC Organizations Would Consider Moving Cloud Data Back On Premises
Netwrix, a vendor of information security and governance software, today announced the release of its global 2019 Cloud Data Security Report. It offers an in-depth analysis of the challenges faced by organizations that store data in the cloud.
The report is based on the feedback of 749 organizations of various sizes located around the world. Respondents shared their experience in storing data in the cloud, their top concerns about securing that data and their future plans for storing sensitive data in the cloud.
In addition to publishing the overall results of the survey, Netwrix analyzed the feedback from the APAC respondents. Here are our key findings for that group:
• While 55% of APAC organizations store personally identifiable information (PII) in the cloud, 43% of respondents would never store payment or financial data there. The most common drivers for moving PII to the cloud were to cut costs (32%) and to make data available for remote workers (25%).
• 72% of APAC organizations that store PII in the cloud did not classify their data. One third (33%) of them had security incidents during the preceding 12 months.
• 32% of APAC respondents say hackers pose the biggest risk to their data, while 18% name IT staff. This is different than in the rest of the globe where insiders were considered the biggest threat.
• 61% of APAC organizations could not determine the threat actor behind an actual incident.
• 26% of APAC organizations would consider unclouding (moving data from the cloud back to an on-premises location) their data in the future; the main reasons are issues with reliability and performance (43%), security (29%), and costs (15%). 86% of these organizations did not classify their data.
• 71% of APAC organizations that classified their sensitive data met their cloud budget or paid less than expected, while 100% of those who say they overpay did not classify their data.
• To improve data security, 71% of APAC organizations plan to encrypt data and 57% plan to educate the employees. However, the majority of IT organizations lack the resources to put their plan into action, as just 13% reported a budget increase, which averaged 17%.
“Organizations lack knowledge about the data they have, which means they oftentimes don't realize their anticipated cost savings. Data discovery and classification will enable them to move only necessary information to the cloud and get rid of stale data to improve data management and control expenses. This will help them meet their expectations for cloud data storage,” said Matt Middleton-Leal, EMEA and APAC General Manager at Netwrix.
About Netwrix Corporation Netwrix is a software company that enables information security and governance professionals to reclaim control over sensitive, regulated and business-critical data, regardless of where it resides. Over 10,000 organizations worldwide rely on Netwrix solutions to secure sensitive data, realize the full business value of enterprise content, pass compliance audits with less effort and expense, and increase the productivity of IT teams and knowledge workers. Founded in 2006, Netwrix has earned more than 150 industry awards and been named to both the Inc. 5000 and Deloitte Technology Fast 500 lists of the fastest growing companies in the U.S. For more information, visit www.netwrix.com.