If virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) was a racehorse, it would be one to back. Gartner predicts that hosted virtual desktop (HVD) deployments will reach 15% of professional desktop users by 2014 and Visiongain estimates that the value of the global cloud-based VDI market will reach $11 billion in 2012. But VDI places significant strain upon the WAN due to the amount of data being transferred between the server and the desktop. If the network is unable to provide adequate performance to applications, they are likely to perform poorly, or fail completely.
Stories by David White, president, Ipanema Technologies, N.A.
As the WAN matures, with advances in robust applications, cloud delivery and other technologies, optimization tools have had to keep pace. It is no longer just about classic compression and protocol acceleration. The new role is about application performance, delivering everything from application visibility to quality of service (QoS) control. In short, the focus is on true WAN governance.
- Technical Field Engineer NSW
- Project Manager - Infrastructure WA
- Technical Services Administrator VIC
- Senior MySQL Database Administrator - Sydney SA
- Wintel Engineer - Brisbane NSW
- ServiceNow Consultant VIC
- Adlib Developer VIC
- Web Applications Project Manager QLD
- Test Analyst - Brisbane ACT
- Geospatial Project Manager NSW