Procurement sheds its boring' image: Big bosses have traditionally paid little attention to their companies' purchasing departments. Why should they? Procurement was boring.
Stories by Greg Dalton
Here comes the b-to-b doughnut exchange. Three corporate heavyweights teamed up on Wednesday to form a new Internet exchange for doughnuts and other junk food sold by those little convenience stores at gas stations.
Big bosses have traditionally paid little attention to their companies' purchasing departments. Why should they? Procurement was boring.
Just as ford and general motors are attempting to lure their suppliers into their electronic playgrounds, aerospace companies are also getting into the act.
Ford Motor Co. was thumping its chest on Wednesday and bragging that it beat arch-rival General Motors in the race to have the first business-to-business auctions for the auto industry. Ford also said that its AutoXchange has enlisted Cisco Systems as a technology provider and equity owner.
It's fun to ogle the sleek concept cars that automakers parade at auto shows this time of year, but every enthusiast knows that they are largely objects of fantasy. The economics of mass production will tone down the voluptuous lines and bold colors until something sadly subdued rolls off the factory floor.
Anyone who has remodeled a home or built a new one almost certainly has horror stories about how difficult it is to get the kitchen cabinets, countertops and dishwasher all to arrive at the right time and place.
Microsoft Corp. has gone vertical.
Ariba and Commerce One are falling all over each other these days announcing glistening new marketplaces for all sorts of big and dirty industries. The firms, which are two poster children of the business-to-business e-commerce craze, are building these virtual markets by courting corporate titans in the hope that these partners will be able to attract the deal flow necessary to bring the exchanges to life.
Two of the world's largest automakers are teaming with two of the most popular Internet service companies in an effort to reach customers on the Web and in their cars.
- Support Engineer - Linux, AIX & Solaris NSW
- Network Support Engineer SA
- Digital Business Analyst ACT
- Senior Business Analyst - investment banking VIC
- Reporting Consultant with Alteryx Other
- DevOps Consultant - Brisbane NSW
- Windows & Linux Systems Engineer - Brisbane NSW
- Reporting Data Analyst - Telco VIC
- Data Architect NSW
- Business Analyst - Payments VIC
- Business transforms when it comes together | Unite your IT , Ops, and Applications teams with shared solutions. Get Ready - Red Hat Cloud
- Upskill your Team. Transition your Career. Cyber Security Foundation & Practitioner™ instructor-led course, for anyone needing a solid understanding of Cyber Security.