Transformation & Digital CIO
David is a well known Transformation & Digital CIO, he consults as an CXO Advisor in Financial Services.
With 18 years as a CIO, David has deep experience in digital change. At CUA he successfully led a major transformation of all systems and technology, this culminated in him winning CIO of the Year in 2014 for Financial Services.
He is heavily embedded in the Fintech startup ecosystem as an Advisor to Sapien Ventures, Tyro Fintech Hub, Venturetec Accelerator and also advises a number of startups.
David is a popular writer for a number of IT publications including CIO, Computerworld and CSO.
How do you envisage tackling the skill shortage within cyber security David?
There are issues in IT around shortage of skills, but there is no greater concern that that which we see in Cyber Security.
My view is that this requires a number of interventions to address the issue, not one thing by itself will solve the issue. Let’s remember that there is an estimated 1 million vacancies in cyber security, and as companies digitise then this becomes a mandatory requirement. Here are some interventions on the Demand and Supply side:
1) Change the attitude towards Cyber Security. In a Digital Age, these are the rock stars that will enable the business to continue trading effectively. We have to recruit, reward and retain the best we can.
2) Build a Cyber Security ecosystem in Australia, that starts with universities, industry, industry groups, government, the Defence forces and startups. A Digital Australia needs a strong Cyber Security capability.
3) Encourage our children to enter University to study Cyber Security as a profession that has outstanding future prospects
4) Give our students the required work experience through internships, scholarships and work placements
5) Change the immigration guidelines to allow a immediate short term intake to address current capacity gaps
6) Finally, CSO magazine is working on an Cyber Security Online Marketplace (CSOM) initiative to partner with universities and employers – watch out for that!
- David Gee, Transformation & Digital CIO