Santander Buys Stake in for $525M

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (03/10/2000) - Spanish bank Banco Santander Central Hispano plans to buy a 75 percent controlling stake in International Ltd., a financial portal aimed primarily at Latin Americans, the companies announced yesterday.

The Spanish bank said in a statement that it valued at US$705 million, which would put the 75 percent stake at $525 million, although this figure was not specified in the statement. Calls seeking comment weren't immediately returned.'s founders and top executives, including company chairman and CEO Wenceslao Casares, will retain control of the remaining 25 percent.

Acquiring is the first step in the bank's expansion in the telecommunications and Internet markets, the companies said.

The Miami-based has country-specific portals for Venezuela, Brazil, México, Chile, Argentina and Spain. is privately held and closed a financing round with over $50 million in December 1999. can be reached at 1-305-534-3400 or at

Banco Santander Central Hispano, in Madrid, can be reached at

Join the newsletter!


Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.

Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.

Error: Please check your email address.
Show Comments