Location: 601 Haggerty DriveBozeman, Mont. 59715Telephone: (888) 322-3566Web: www.rightnowtech.comThe technology: Self-service customer support on the WebGrowth potential: Aberdeen Group Inc. forecasts a 33% compound annual growth rate through 2002 for customer care.
Why it's worth watching: Little maintenance needed; knowledge base grows as customers use it.
- Greg Gianforte, founder and CEO
-Jeff Honeycomb, president and chief operating officerMilestones:
- Third quarter 1997: Founded
- First quarter 1998: RightNow Web shipped- December 1999: RightNow E-mail launched- January 2000: First round of venture-capital financingEmployees: 90, doubling yearlyProfitability date: Achieved profitability in first quarter of 1998Burn money: Gianforte himself invested the initial $50,000 for start-up.
Remainder of financing came from a $16.2 million venture capital funding round this month.
Products: RightNow Web, RightNow E-mail, RightNow LiveCustomers: More than 400, including Ben & Jerry's Homemade Holdings Inc., Sprint Corp. and Xerox Corp.
Partners: Oracle Corp., Intel Corp., VA Linux Systems Inc. and Red Hat Inc.
Red flags for IT:
- Traditional customer relationship management systems vendors such as Siebel Systems, Vantive Corp. and Pivotal are moving in.
- Runaway growth train may derail.
- Customers will soon demand more sophisticated customer-support tools for the Web, so RightNow products will have to mature.