Dell introduces new integrated wireless handheld computer
- 15 October, 2003 16:46
<p>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE</p>
<p>DELL[TM] INTRODUCES NEW INTEGRATED WIRELESS HANDHELD COMPUTER</p>
<p>Axim[TM] X3 is Lighter, Thinner Than Previous Model; Available on redesigned Dell.com for enhanced online customer experience</p>
<p>SYDNEY, October 15, 2003 - Dell today expanded its handheld product family by introducing its newest member, the Axim[TM] X3, a slim and compact PDA that includes a $699 model with integrated wireless capability.</p>
<p>At 140.4g, the Axim X3 is 28 per cent lighter than its predecessor, and at 14.9mm, it is 17 per cent thinner. The Axim X3 delivers bright colour displays, removable primary batteries, secure digital I/O, consumer infrared and optional built-in wireless networking. It is available in three configurations: one with integrated Wi-Fi 802.11b for $699, and two non-wireless configurations for $519 and $599.</p>
<p>“Since entering the handheld market we’ve demonstrated that it is possible for customers to get a superior quality handheld at a great price,” said Joanne Wilkinson, director of marketing, Software and Peripherals, Dell Asia/Pacific and Japan. “With the Axim X3, Dell has once again delivered exceptional price performance on a Pocket PC-based handheld with integrated wireless functionality.”</p>
<p>The Axim X3 is one of a range of computer accessories and software available through Dell.com.au, which has just been redesigned to enhance the customer purchase, usage and service experience. The updated Web site features back-end and visual improvements that simplify product category segmentation and effectively display the breadth of Dell’s products and services. The new features also ease navigation, provide enhanced imagery and expand the amount of information available for customers to make buying decisions.</p>
<p>Dell pioneered use of the Internet as a sales channel beginning in 1996, becoming the first company to record $1 million in online sales in 1997.</p>
<p>“Through Dell’s existing partnership with leading manufacturers and service providers, customers can buy software and peripherals through Dell.com, many of which have been tested with Dell systems to help ensure interoperability and ease of use,” added Wilkinson.</p>
<p>The Axim X3 handheld comes with Microsoft’s Windows Mobile 2003 software for pocket PC, and pocket versions of Microsoft[R] Outlook, Word and Excel, Internet Explorer, MSN Messenger and Windows Media Player. The Axim X3 will also come with one-year advanced exchange service standard.</p>
<p>Both $699 and $599 configurations are powered by the Intel[R] Xscale[TM] processor at 400MHz, and offer 64MB of SDRAM and 64MB of Intel[R] StrataFlash[TM] ROM. The built-in Secure Digital IO slot can host a number of devices. A 3.5-inch transflective TFT colour display is standard on all Axim X3 configurations, with 240x320 (QVGA) resolution. The unit's sync/recharge cradle-standard on $599 and $699 configurations-has an extra battery charge slot that accommodates either a spare standard battery (950 mAh) or the available high-capacity (1800 mAh) battery.</p>
<p>Users with lower memory and speed requirements can also opt for Axim X3's $519 configuration, which has an Intel[R] Xscale[TM] 300MHz processor, 32MB of SDRAM, 32MB of Flash ROM and a USB sync cable instead of a cradle. All Axim X3 units will be offered with a wide variety of accessories, such as folding keyboards and leather carrying case.</p>
<p>Technical Features of the Axim include:
- Microsoft[R] Windows[R] Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PC, including Pocket versions of Microsoft[R] Outlook, Word and Excel, Internet Explorer, MSN Messenger, Windows Media Player and more.
- Intel[R] Xscale[TM] PXA263 Processor at 400MHz or 300MHz
- Brilliant 3.5-inch TFT 240x320 QVGA 65K Colour Transflective LCD
- 64MB SDRAM or 32MB SDRAM
- 64MB or 32MB Intel[R] StrataFlash[TM] ROM
- 1 Secure Digital IO Slot
- Consumer IrDA port
- 950mAh Li-Ion Removable Battery with integrated rechargeable Backup Battery
- Optional 1800mAh Li-Ion High Capacity Battery
- Built-in Microphone & Speaker
- Backlit Power Button / Indicator Light
- Optional integrated Wi-Fi 802.11b capability
- Weight: Wi-Fi config w/ standard battery: 140.4g (5 oz); Non-Wi-Fi config w/standard battery: 136.5g (4.8 oz)
- Dimensions: Wi-Fi config: 122.4 x 14.9 x 77.2mm (4.82" x 0.6" x 3"); Non-Wi-Fi config: 117 x 14.9 x 77.2mm (4.6" x 0.6" x 3");
- Power Button, 4 Application Keys, 5-way Navigator Button, Scroll Dial, Wireless On/Off Button, Voice Record Button, Headphone mini-jack
- USB Cradle with 2nd primary battery charging slot
- Ships standard with Cradle or Synch Cable, AC Adapter & Power Cord, Protective Jacket, System Documentation & Companion CD.</p>
Dell Inc. (Nasdaq: DELL) is a premier provider of products and services required for customers worldwide to build their information-technology and Internet infrastructures. Company revenue for the past four quarters totalled US$38.2 billion. Dell, through its direct business model, designs, manufactures and customizes products and services to customer requirements, and offers an extensive selection of software and peripherals. Information on Dell and its products can be obtained on the World Wide Web at www.dell.com.au or on 1800 335 502.</p>
<p>Dell and Axim are trademarks of Dell Inc.
Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
Intel and Pentium are either registered trademarks or trademark of Intel Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Microsoft and Windows are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.</p>
<p>1 All prices stated include GST based on list price but exclude delivery (By delivery only. Standard fee $64). Pricing, specifications and availability subject to change without notice.
2 Access to the Internet requires purchase of separate internet access service and equipment
3 Replacement system or replacement part will be dispatched, if necessary, following phone-based troubleshooting, in advance of receipt of returned defective part or system. Replacements may be refurbished. Defective unit must be returned upon receipt of replacement system. Availability varies. Other conditions apply.
4 Leather carrying case is subject to availability and is expected to ship by December 2003</p>
<p>For further information, please contact:
Tel: (02) 8972 5548 / 0416 071 900
Tel: (02) 9954 3299
- Anti-piracy bill takes aim at ‘cyberlockers’, search engines
- New anti-piracy laws to target search engines
- Encryption bill: What’s a ‘systemic weakness’? It depends, the government says
- Melbourne Uni launches quantum simulator and environment QUI
- UK govt launches code of practice for connected devices