HP yet to detail Australian job cuts

Hewlett-Packard Australia has declined to comment on how many Australian employees will be sacked following an announcement to sack 6000 workers worldwide.

In a statement, HP said that during the next several weeks the leadership team would be working with management teams across businesses in Australia to determine the "specifics of how the workforce-reduction goals will be implemented".

"HP's management team is committed to implementing this program with compassion and humanity, which means we will communicate specifics over the coming weeks only as appropriate - when decisions are made and when information can be shared."

The statement said this process would be done in every country HP operates in.

On July 26, HP warned that third-quarter revenues would fall short of analysts' expectations. The company said it now expects its revenue for the quarter ending July 31 to decline by between 14 and 16 per cent from the corresponding quarter last year.

HP said the elimination of 6000 jobs worldwide will "improve the competitiveness of our cost structures going forward".

The company said in a statement that the jobs losses would not in any way be due to the impact of outsourcing and divestiture decisions, and are "incremental" to the restructuring already under way, including the marketing restructuring and management span-of-control programs.

Hewlett-Packard started the calendar year with a total of 88,500 workers. It laid off 1770 employees in January and another 3000 in April.

Join the newsletter!

Error: Please check your email address.

More about Hewlett-Packard Australia

Show Comments