Responding to employee demand for bring your own technology (BYOT) has led more Australian companies to implement IT service management (ITSM) structures in order to support BYOT rollouts, according to a UXC Consulting survey.
One hundred and twenty IT executives participated in the survey, which was conducted in August at the annual IT Service Management Forum in Perth. Half of those surveyed were implementing ITSM to cater for smartphones and other personal devices such as tablets.
According to the findings, 80 per cent of Australian businesses already had IT infrastructure that could support smartphones as these were considered to be less disruptive to a corporate IT environment than tablets.
Out of the 120 respondents, 68 per cent worked for an enterprise with more than 1000 people while the remaining 32 per cent worked for a company with 5000 staff or more.
UXC Consulting chief executive officer, Nick Mescher, said in a statement that the results sent a clear message that employees now had the expectation that they could connect personal mobile devices at work. He added that having a BYOT policy could mean a competitive advantage for employers, including the ability to attract and retain staff.
“In Australia, the enterprise has been quick to allow smartphones onto ITSM frameworks, as employees need more freedom in terms of mobility, and BYOT is increasing as a trend in many workplaces,” he said.
“Unlike the deployment of smartphones, the enterprise is not looking for a quick add-on solution with BYOT; they are considering the best ways to implement solutions into the existing ITSM framework.”
Follow Hamish Barwick on Twitter: @HamishBarwick
Follow Computerworld Australia on Twitter: @ComputerworldAU