Another week gone and, while Australian IT jobs are on the rise, the Federal Government has announced a temporary cut-off of skilled migrations for both independent and sponsored workers until the end of June. The imposition comes as the Government looks to refresh its Skilled Occupations List and reassess job priorities in Australia, but this could be bad news for companies unable to find the right workers locally.
Despite the high demand for skills here, things are looking a little different elsewhere. Job reports in both the US and the UK have noted drops in demand for skills ranging from developers to SAP, DB2 and Lotus support staff. The migration cut-off seems to have come at an awkward time though, if some high-ranking executives are to be believed, Australia could be seeing similar results in two to three years.
There are still plenty of opportunities available, however. 760 Year 11 and Year 12 students across Australia were handed thousand dollar scholarships for Defence trades, while recruitment agencies are turning to cash incentives in order to encourage hires. We have compiled the hottest jobs and certifications for this week.
Finance Organisation - Infrastructure Project Manager
Skills required: No technical skills
- Prior experience managing Infrastructure project Managers in a large complex environment. Preferably finance/banking.
- You understand the principles and mechanisms of effectively managing project budget and cost and should also have relevant qualifications
- You have experience of implementing budget and cost management on a project
- You have successfully implemented these principles & mechanisms on a project.
Unknown Company - Senior Security Analyst
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Salary: Contract Rates
Skills required: Network security experience
- Application Architecture, assessment, implementation, vulnerability, assessments, incident response and forensic
- Firewalls, remote access, intrusion detection and e-business
- Development and applications of threat modelling and formal risk management models in an enterprise environment
- Development and delivery of training, including mentoring to ensure application security policies are enforced
Unknown Company - MS Project Analyst
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
- 3-5 years solid experience using MS Project
- 3 years minimum experience in a role having created templates in MS Project
- The ability to liaise with the business and end users to collate and document requirements
- Excellent communication skills - verbal and written
Conn3cted - Web Software Engineer / Analyst Programmer
Location: Milsons Point, Sydney, New South Wales
Salary: 12-month contract
Skills required: Java, J2EE, Spring, XML-WS and XML technologies
- Tertiary qualifications with excellent marks
- 2-3 years development experience
- Experience working with Weblogic
- Experience working with Oracle
Hot IT Certification
Various job indices have indicated that companies are mostly on the look-out for Project Managers, business analysts and developers for .NET and Java-based applications. We've covered some of the hottest certifications internationally for the IT industry, but if you're looking for something a little more useful on the local stage, we recommend taking a look at certifications suited specifically to the aforementioned career paths.