Vendor's description: For many years, organizations have relied on performance gains from increasing clock speeds of “traditional” microprocessor architectures. However, in recent years this approach has been challenged by the physical limitations of semiconductors and by traditional processor architecture implementations. Issues with power consumption, heat dissipation and memory latencies have led to diminishing returns on performance. High performance computing (HPC) cluster applications such as digital content distribution, digital video surveillance, electronic design automation, image and signal processing, and scientific research, may need a fundamentally new technology and approach to the system-level architecture to achieve the desired level of performance.
Cell/B.E. multi-core innovation
Enter the IBM BladeCenter® QS21 based on the multi-core Cell Broadband Engine (Cell/B.E.) processor. When used to complement systems based on traditional processors, the QS21 can yield application results faster and with more fidelity. This can enable organizations to get information faster to facilitate important business decisions.
- Second generation blade system based on Cell Broadband Engine™ Processors
- Significant performance acceleration of targeted workloads
- High-performance blade solution for graphics-intensive and high performance computing (HPC) applications
- Cell/B.E. processors offer extreme performance to accelerate compute-intensive tasks such as image processing, signal processing and graphics rendering
- Single-wide blade form factor provides extraordinary computing density—up to 6.4 TFLOPS in a single BladeCenter H or HT chassis
- Build a complex multi-platform environment in a highly efficient architecture
- Features two high-performance Cell/B.E. processors
- 2 GB standard processor memory
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet
- Optional Dual-port DDR InfiniBand 4x HCA connected through PCI-Express
- Optional Serial Attached SCSI daughter cards connected through PCI-X
- BladeCenter PCie expansion unit (43W4391)
- Optional I/O buffer memory DIMMs (up to 2 GB, 4x512 MB)
The Computerworld Find a Server Tool is a first step to get you on the right path. However, before proceeding with any purchase you should always consult the vendor or partner to see if the server is right for you, verify the price of your configuration for the device and check the server specifications in more detail.
You can also use your brower’s navigation to go back to the search results or start the search again.