Interesting Green IT statistics from not-for-profit organisation, ComputersOff.
There are about 18 million computers within Australia which amounts to:
- Nearly $1.3 Billion in wasted electricity
- 5,954,195 tons of CO2 emissions created, which is equivalent to taking 1 million cars off the road, planting 1,623,945 acres of trees or lighting 6,662,036 houses annually.
By turning off your computer each night when you leave work for a year you will help save as much energy as it takes:
- To run a clock radio for 1392 weeks
- To make 9280 bags of microwave popcorn
- To wash 464 loads of washing
- To use your blow dryer for 5568 hours
- To vacuum for 464 hours
- To to produce 3480 plastic bags
- To run your microwave 24 hours a day for a week
- To to boil your kettle for 24 hours a day for 268 days
By turning off your computer tonight when you leave work you will save as much energy as it takes:
- To run a clock radio for more than three weeks
- To make over 20 bags of microwave popcorn
- To wash more than a load of washing
- To blow dry your hair over 12 times
- To vacuum for more than an hour
- To light a 100 watt light bulb for over 10 hours
By turning your computer off tonight when you leave work will save about 100 kilograms of coal from being used — a saving of more than 120kg of CO2 emissions.