The NBN stands for ‘National Broadband Network’, a fibre-to-the-home (FttH) network which is planned to be built in Australia. The network aims to connect 90 per cent of all Australian homes and facilitate broadband services with download speeds up to 100 megabits per second (Mbs). Other areas in Australia – or the remaining 10 per cent – will have access to speeds of 12Mbs per minute via the next generation wireless and satellite technologies. This project is planned by the Rudd Government to provide access to affordable fast broadband for every business, house and school in Australia.
The Government has said it could spend up to $43 billion dollars on this project, with plans to establish designs to attract private sector investment as well as addressing regional backbone ‘blackspots’, improving telecommunication services in the short term. The NBN is also being used as the foundation for what the Government is calling the digital economy – or in other words, enabling things like e-health, e-education and smart grids.