Carbonite Online Backup to be Bundled with Lenovo PCs in Australia/NZ
- 15 September, 2008 14:47
<p>Carbonite, Inc has announced a partnership with Lenovo, one of the world's largest makers of personal computers. Carbonite’s award-winning online backup service will soon be available to Lenovo’s consumer PC customers in numerous markets around the world, including Australia and New Zealand. Beginning in October 2008, a free trial of Carbonite Online Backup™ will be shipped pre-loaded on all of Lenovo IdeaPad and IdeaCentre PCs in key countries and in multiple languages.</p>
<p>“Carbonite has created the top online backup service for the consumer market,” said Feng Lee, Senior Director of Lenovo’s Worldwide Consumer Software Group. “Carbonite created a simple interface that makes it very easy for consumers to back up their valuable data. We knew this ease of use would be a great fit with our consumer customers purchasing Lenovo Idea-branded computers.”</p>
<p>Technology developments in storage capacity and pricing have allowed consumers to have the same protection of off-site backup that businesses have utilized for years. Since its launch in May 2006, Carbonite has backed up more than 4 billion files for consumers and small businesses around the world and has restored more than 250 million files that would have otherwise been lost forever.</p>
<p>The commercial preload agreement includes all models of Lenovo’s IdeaPad and IdeaCentre consumer PCs in the US, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, India and South Africa. Future territories will include Mexico, Brazil and the United Arab Emirates.</p>
<p>“We are proud to be working with a world class partner in Lenovo,” said Bill Cunningham, EVP of Business Development at Carbonite. “We believe that someday every PC will ship with online backup pre-installed. Studies show that users are more likely to switch PC brands if their computer crashes and they lose valuable data. This move by Lenovo demonstrates its commitment to helping users protect their files. With so many people keeping irreplaceable business documents and personal files (such as photos, music, emails, spreadsheets, presentations and correspondence) on their PCs, users need a simple way to keep everything safe.”</p>
<p>Lenovo’s technical integration with Carbonite works in the following manner:
• When pre-installed on Lenovo Idea-branded PCs, Carbonite prompts users to initialize the backup service the first time the new computer is connected to the Internet.
• Once activated by the user with an email address and password, Carbonite runs quietly in the background, continually creating an initial remote backup of all data files.
• After the first backup is complete, Carbonite continually scans the PC for all new and changed files and backs them up whenever the PC is connected to the worldwide web via a broadband connection.
• Storage capacity is unlimited: users never outgrow their Carbonite subscription no matter how much data they need to store.
• Carbonite never interferes with the speed of the users’ PCs or their Internet browsing.
• Data is double-encrypted before leaving the local computer and is transmitted to Carbonite’s secure data center using HTTPS (SSL) for total privacy.</p>
Carbonite launched its Online Backup service in May 2006. Carbonite's industry-first offer of unlimited backup space for a flat low price revolutionized the market for consumer and small business backup services. So far, the company has backed up more than 4 billion user files, has restored more than 250 million lost files for its customers and has a large data center where capacity is measured in petabytes. There are Carbonite users in more than 120 countries.</p>
<p>Founded in 2005, Carbonite believes that computer users should not have to think about backup. The company's mission is to provide an affordable, reliable, secure and easy-to-use solution for the mainstream computer user. Carbonite is available to consumers and small businesses through numerous channels, including its corporate website, major US retailers and international distributors. For more information, please visit www.carbonite.com.au.</p>
<p>For further information please contact:
Arthur Koulianos Carbonite Australia 03 9581 0841
Shuna Boyd BoydPR 02 9418 8100</p>
- ANZ adds support for digital wallet ATM withdrawals
- Telstra strikes deal with taxi operator for location-based display ads
- UK Snooper's Charter dealt fresh blow by European Court of Human Rights
- TPG’s small cell network to complement Vodafone infrastructure, CFO says
- 12 top Slack tips to up your productivity game