The post struck a particular chord with me as I have been working out of home now since 2004!
The post goes through the pros and cons of teleworking and lists 28 advantages of teleworking. Personally, I love working out of home and at this point I'd find it very hard to going back to working from a central office. Working from home means I can be far more productive. I can (and often do) stay working on long after the typical 9-5 workday.
Apart from the obvious environmental benefits of teleworking, the Oil Drum article mentions many of the advantages of telecommuting for companies including:
• Improves employee satisfaction
• Reduce attrition
• Reduces unscheduled absences
• Increases productivity
• Saves employers money
• Equalizes personalities and reduces potential for discrimination
• Cuts down on wasted meetings
• Increases employee empowerment
• Increases collaboration
• Provides new employment opportunities for the un and under-employed
• Expands the talent pool
• Slows the brain drain due to retiring Boomers
• Reduces staffing redundancies and offers quick scale-up and scale-down options
• Prevents traffic accidents
• Take the pressure off our crumbling transportation infrastructure
• Insures continuity of operations in the event of a disaster
• Improves performance measurement systems
• Offers access to grants and financial incentives
Many large companies are embracing teleworking nowadays for many of the reasons listed above.