If you're planning to obtain CompTIA's new Security+ certification, you can save more than $100 by acting quickly. From now until Sept. 30, candidates can take the beta version of the exam for $90. The regular live exam will cost up to $200.
Security+ validates skills in basic security. CompTIA recommends that candidates have at least two years of professional experience.
The beta exam has 125 questions and you'll have 120 minutes to complete it.
Here's a general breakdown of the material the test covers:
* General security concepts: 30%
* Communications security: 20%
* Infrastructure security: 20%
* Basics of cryptography: 15%
* Operational/organizational security: 15%Beta participants will have the chance to provide their input and feedback about individual questions and be among the first to gain Security+ certification. Based on the exam feedback, questions will be revised as needed for the live exam.
The exam is available through Prometric and VUE testing centers. To register, call Prometric at (800) 977-3926 or VUE at (677) 551-PLUS. Ask for the Security+ Beta exam code SY1-101.
For more information about the CompTIA Security+ certification, go to http://www.comptia.org/certification/securityplus/about_securityplus.htm