- The week in security: Apple security scrutinised as mobile, IoT threats loom
- Pressure on CSOs as executives, getting smarter on IT security, defer projects
- Shellshock attackers targeting NAS devices
- Shellshock attacks target QNAP's network storage, FireEye says
- IBM’s SoftLayer on the back foot in big Xen bug reboot
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) - News, Features, and Slideshows
Hyundai's Australian subsidiary is close to completing a company-wide VDI rollout. Head of IT at Hyundai Motor Company Australia, Bala Kothandaraman, said that virtual desktops had been rolled out to around 45 per cent of the organisation's 200 end users, with the remainder to transition in two months.
Amazon's virtual-desktops-as-a-service offering is now available in the cloud giant's Sydney region. Amazon WorkSpaces provides Windows 7-based virtual desktops served out of AWS' data centres for a monthly fee.
Virtual desktops have meant that caregivers at Sunshine Coast University Private Hospital aren't chained to their desks according to Ramsay Health Care infrastructure engineer Barry White.
After catastrophic earthquakes in Christchurch toppled its New Zealand law office, Duncan Cotterill implemented desktop virtualization to provide stronger disaster resilience, according to the law firm’s CIO at the time.
Not-for-profit hostel accommodation provider YHA has reported financial and IT support savings, following the rollout of virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI).
Desktop virtualization has a predicted growth curve that leaves much of the PC and IT services industries smiling: Yet none of the technologies or service providers promising to offer hosted virtual desktops are ready to step into key roles in enterprise IT infrastructures, according the same well-respected analysts who set the server virtualization market on its ear with a similar conclusion last year.
Most CIOs have started considering virtual desktop infrastructure and other types of desktop virtualization, but only a minority has reached the deployment stage. (See related story, "As Windows 7 gains steam, VDI set to rise".) Virtual desktops can potentially provide more flexibility for users, make it easier to apply patches and reduce IT help desk calls, but there are still numerous problems that keep desktop pros up at night. Here are five pitfalls to watch out for.
Whitepapers about Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
This paper provides a guide for evaluating and selecting the best all-flash storage for your enterprise class environment. The detailed content covers all product classes and where they can be best applied to your circumstances, as well as what the key elements are for each to avoid potential pitfalls in the selection process.
- Report: Marketers ramp up tech spend but experience still driving budget decisions
- Oracle integrates BlueKai with Marketing Cloud
- Marketo launches digital marketing research institute; agency partner program
- How CMOs can make big data relevant to the sales team
- CPA Australia outlines 7-step personalisation strategy for digital engagement