supercomputers - News, Features, and Slideshows
supercomputers in pictures
An older supercomputer from the Los Alamos National Laboratory has been cannibalized and rebuilt into a new one, thanks to a team from Carnegie Mellon University.
Stepping up its efforts to regain supercomputing dominance from China, the U.S. within the next two years will activate what could be one of the world's fastest computers.
China's nagging pollution problems could start to abate with the help of an IBM project that seeks to predict and control the air quality in Beijing, using new computing technologies.
The latest Top 500 ranking sees China stay on top.
Supercomputer vendor Cray is trying to make the Lustre file system easier to work with, allowing users to copy material from the file system into a multilayered storage archiving system.
Georgia Tech researchers building an experimental new supercomputer say graphics processors may help pave the way toward future exascale machines, which would be 1,000 times faster than today's most powerful supercomputers.
When you enter the computer room on the second floor of Tokyo Institute of Technology's computer building, you're not immediately struck by the size of Japan's second-fastest supercomputer. You can't see the Tsubame computer for the industrial air conditioning units that are standing in your way, but this in itself is telling. With more than 30,000 processing cores buzzing away, the machine consumes a megawatt of power and needs to be kept cool.
Every June and November, with fanfare lacking only in actual drum rolls and trumpet blasts, a new list of the world's fastest supercomputers is revealed. Vendors brag, and the media reach for analogies such as "It would take a patient person with a handheld calculator x number of years (think millennia) to do what this hunk of hardware can spit out in one second."
- Adobe: Class division emerging in website design
- Acronis launches software-as-a-service backup delivery model for VARs, MSPs
- ZipTel wins major Trafalgar Travel deployment as part of retail roadmap
- Mature datacentre footprint still has room for innovation: Veeam
- A10 Networks’ new channel vision to be delivered by WhiteGold Solutions
- NAB shares the key ingredients to digital strategy success
- Adobe details how it's transforming into a digital-first marketing organisation
- Yahoo buys Flurry to make more money from mobile apps
- Salesforce.com's trademark infringement anything but social, lawsuit claims
- Better CIO/CFO relationships see CMO salaries soar