software licensing - News, Features, and Slideshows
Renewing contracts for bulk licensing of Microsoft products may be costing businesses millions of dollars for products and services they likely won't need before the contracts run out, says an expert who helps customers negotiate the agreements.
Gartner recently predicted that 25% of organizations will have their own app store by 2017, and while app stores can improve flexibility and empower staff, once the floodgates open it can be incredibly difficult for enterprises to manage software licensing, control entitlement and track actual software usage.
Business Software Alliance (BSA) Australia is encouraging companies and individuals to invest in cloud-based software as a way to track compliance and save money.
Juniper Networks at long last has laid out its software-defined networking (SDN) strategy, which includes a revamped software licensing plan that the company says will change its business model and differentiate it from competitors.
Microsoft will make businesses pay 15% more for licenses that let workers access servers from as many devices as they want, which - depending on how workers do their jobs - may still be cheaper than the alternative.
Between complex licenses and the cloud, Microsoft, Oracle, and SAP have lots of ways to hike up prices. Here's how to fight back
On the surface, Cisco and Juniper's SDN strategies seem to have sharp contrasts if recent announcements are any indication.
Navigating Microsoft's complex rules and programs for software licensing has been notoriously difficult for businesses -- a pain point not lost on the company, which for years has said it is trying to simplify the process for customers.
- Good Technology launches enterprise mobility suites
- Telstra fixed line access price consultation begins
- Australian and New Zealand networks drive scientific research
- UPDATED: Planet Tel acquires Via IP to move into wholesale aggregation
- BlackBerry won’t give up on devices, but enterprise remains top priority
- Lenovo shows smart glasses prototype as it seeks hardware partners
- Salesforce.com launches Sales Reach for real-time selling and marketing
- Long replacement cycle drags down iPad sales
- Deep-dive review: The Lumia 635 smartphone -- a study in contrasts
- LG notches record smartphone shipments on G3 strength
- A new kind of solicitude: Co-creation with customers
- Facebook reports a big sales jump, helped by mobile ads
- Australia's top digital marketers break away from the industry pack
- Carsales rolls out SAS's Intelligent Advertising technology
- Deloitte defines 5 attributes to cope with next wave of digital disruption