The Chromebook can be a powerful workhorse -- here's how to replace your standard laptop for work
PCs - News, Features, and Slideshows
PCs in pictures
Need a mouse for your Windows 8 laptop or a keyboard for your Windows RT tablet? These devices from Microsoft and Logitech are solid options from proven peripherals vendors.
Microsoft's Metro environment in Windows 8 and Windows RT takes the iPad approach to apps, but is it better?
From PCs to servers, Intel is trying to redesign the way computers operate. We've already seen how PCs are changing, with 2-in-1 hybrids and tiny Compute Sticks, but some of the chip maker's groundbreaking technologies will initially appear in servers.
Enterprises will increasingly look to Windows and Android as the number of workers equipped with tablets grows over the next three years.
Samsung wants to cram faster and more power-efficient DDR4 DRAM in laptops and hybrids with new memory chips it introduced on Monday.
Millions of people will buy VR headsets in the coming years to play games and view 3D content, and those sales could spark a real-world war among chip-makers.
The British Broadcasting Corporation announced yesterday that it would jump into the burgeoning market for small form-factor computers with the BBC Micro Bit, a microcomputer that's sort of a cross between a FitBit and a Raspberry Pi.
AMC's new TV series harks back to the early days of PCs -- but drama, not desktops, takes center stage.
OS X Yosemite will run on about eight of every 10 Macs, a boon for customers who want to upgrade this fall, but also another proof point that "good enough" has contributed to the personal computer business's stagnation.
Apple has been able to maintain high prices and high margins for its computers even as competitors jumped into a pricing pit. But with computer sales drooping, Apple may use the opportunity to lower prices.
Tablet cannibals have taken as big a bite out of Mac growth as they have out of PCs in general, showing that Apple is not immune to the seismic shift it triggered with the iPad.
Intel confirmed that it will provide processors to personal computer and tablet makers that support both Windows 8.1 and Android, the two operating systems from fierce rivals Microsoft and Google.
Whitepapers about PCs
This whitepaper discusses why the periodic refresh of an organisation’s PCs and devices makes sense from both IT and business perspectives, to maintain productivity and top-notch security. • As PCs age, the systems start to incur high maintenance costs and expose organizations to heightened security risks • There is a need to carefully match client computers to the requirements of the workforce • With the right combination of hardware, software and services, organisations can maximize the benefits of a client refresh while driving down cost and complexity
- As networks evolve, visibility remains key to managing IT-security risk in business terms
- Join special guest Jeff Lanza, Retired FBI Agent (USA), Ty Miller, Mark Gregory & Andy Solterbeck for a discussion on ransomware security
- AISA 2016 | Hear from Bruce Schneier, David Lacey, Rik Ferguson and many more | 18-20th October Register Today
- Join Skeeve Stevens, Stanley Shanapinda, and more on how to manage metadata to maximise your ability to detect and prevent an attack. Register
- Caution: That SSL Blind Spot is Growing
- The Future is Encrypted. Manage It.
- New Destination Gigamon Security Resources IS HERE
- CLOUDSEC2016 - Timothy Wallach, Cyber Taskforce FBI (USA) speaks on the status & evolution of global cybercrime. Save your seat
- Start your cloud journey. Register now and learn a wide range of AWS cloud solutions covered in the monthly AWS Webinar Series.
- Next-generation SIEM turns low-level security monitoring for high-level business goals
- See Your Traffic for What It Really Is
- Ransomware explosion is the latest security wakeup call for CxOs
- Test Your Knowledge of Network Encryption