- Sony cancels 'The Interview' release after threats following cyberattack
- ‘Backdoor’ may be on 10m Coolpad Android smartphones
- Forensic software gets around iCloud security features
- Obama pushes for net neutrality, opposes data localization in trade pact
- New ransomware avoids hitting the same victim twice
operating systems - News, Features, and Slideshows
What could Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella have done in just 10 months to convince shareholders he's worth the $84 million pay package they approved earlier this month?
Microsoft didn't seem bothered about another leak of Windows 10.
St. Mary’s College will upgrade student and staff devices to Windows 8 next year, following a recent technology refresh that included a rollout of new notebooks to students and teachers.
Microsoft has just acknowledged a problem with Exchange Server 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 8, which I first saw described on the German language site heise.de. Apparently there have been many more reports of problems.
Microsoft today took the unusual step of telling users running Windows 10's Technical Preview to uninstall Office before applying one of December's security updates.
Microsoft last week doused speculation that it would make Windows free across the board.
Microsoft won't talk about what Windows 10 will cost until next year. But it's looking unlikely that it will be completely free, either for users or for PC makers building larger devices, after Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner said that Windows 10 won't be a priced to keep users in the Microsoft ecosystem.
Administrators who spent time this year retiring their last computers running Microsoft Windows XP might have another migration task ahead -- Microsoft is set to retire its Windows Server 2003 operating system next July.
Microsoft's Windows 10 is still in testing, but hardware makers can't wait for the day the OS replaces the controversial Windows 8.
Open-source software plays an increasingly prominent role in many areas of modern business IT it's in servers, databases and even the cloud. Vendors like Red Hat, Canonical and others have managed to graft open-source principles onto a profitable business model. The former company became the first open-source-centered business with $1 billion in annual revenue in 2012.
Apple's new OS X Yosemite finished its first full month after release with a brisker uptake than its predecessor Mavericks, metrics company Net Applications said today.
The Jolla Tablet, an open-source device that promises privacy, ease of use and comparable hardware to late-model Android tablets and iPads, has demolished its funding goals on IndieGoGo in just the first few days of its campaign.
When Microsoft released a critical update for multiple versions of Windows Server this month, it also pushed out a fix for several releases of the Windows client OS, including even the technical preview for Windows 10.
The double-edged sword of feedback has drawn some blood from Microsoft's Windows 10 and nicked the company's promise to listen to users.
Apple has come out with a second beta of Mac OS X Yosemite for developers, but it's not clear whether this latest build will address the WiFi problems that continue to affect an undetermined but apparently substantial number of users.
- Communications service providers will face heavy capex in coming years: Ovum
- Sony Pictures cancels Christmas day release of 'The Interview' following hacks
- McAfee/Intel Security makes big APAC push with three new appointments
- Vocus gets the green light to acquire Amcom
- Telstra confirms talks to buy Pacnet
- Forget 2015: Bing already knows which people, products and trends will win next year
- Predictive analytics for the masses gets closer with vendor investments
- Second-screen ad synching to take off in 2015
- Why virtual reality is opening a new world for customer interaction
- Facebook: Don't Advertise With Us If You Don't See Clear ROI