- Open sesame: How iOS 8 will unlock Touch ID's power
- Russian cyberweapons cross-pollinating commercial malware, analysis claims
- Virtru launches business email encryption service for Google Apps
- Almost half UK businesses POS systems are vulnerable to hackers say IT
- Imperva security stats confirm even hackers love a World Cup thriller
operating systems - News, Features, and Slideshows
- Surface survives Microsoft cuts, but tablet strategy remains muddled
- Google starts work on Chrome bug that slurps Windows laptop juice
- Rise of the Planet of the Lockscreens
- Why Microsoft isn't spooked by the Apple-IBM alliance
operating systems in pictures
Apple may release a public beta for OS X Yosemite as early as next week, according to an online report Monday.
Red Alert: Israel is a free app for both iOS and Android that provides real-time alerts when missiles or rockets are fired into Israel. It's also become a specialized kind of social network.
Lenovo on Friday said it would continue selling sub-10-in. Windows tablets in the U.S., backing away from statements it made the day before.
The humble lockscreen is about to become the most important interface on your smartphone, says columnist Mike Elgan.
Google engineers have begun working on a fix for a months-old Chrome bug that drains Windows' laptop batteries, a move triggered by a story on Forbes' website.
An easy step-by-step guide to the Bash command-line shell and shell scripting
Windows 8's bare-metal virtualization layer is a great way to create an app sandbox, run a test machine, launch a VHD appliance, and more
Reformatting and restoring a PC is not fun--in the way spending 2 hours in the dentist's chair is not fun. You have to back up all your data (and pray that you haven't forgotten anything), reformat the hard drive, install Windows, track down missing drivers, find and reload all your software, restore your data, and pull out clumps of hair over the things you inevitably neglected to save. (Firefox plug-ins, anyone?)
With all the many compelling reasons for a company to switch to Linux on the desktop, it's no wonder that businesses large and small are increasingly relying on the free and open source operating system.
WARNING: Overclocking is not for the faint of heart. Do not attempt to hack your phone unless you understand and accept the risks of turning it into a useless "brick."
The Apple-IBM partnership will have little effect on Microsoft's dominance in the enterprise, or drastically change its mutating mobile strategy.
The new Apple-IBM partnership seems sure to help Apple sell more iPads to businesses, but it may also be setting off alarm bells at mobile device management companies large and small.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella demoted Windows to a handful of terse mentions deep in his 3,100 all-hands strategy email of last week.
Online word processors, spreadsheets, and presentation apps can be surprisingly useful, or surprisingly lame, and not even Microsoft aces Office document compatibility
Two months after Microsoft ended support for Windows XP, the catastrophic wave of exploits security experts expected to wash over the aged operating system have failed to materialize.
Whitepapers about operating systems
In this enterprise buyers guide Computerworld provides a framework for assessing the suitability of tablet computers with different work styles and demands. The guide takes into account upgrade cycles, pricing and contract issues with telecommunications providers. It features a shopping checklist covering screen types, connectivity and hardware as well as a guide to application management. This is in addition to a full roundup of the major players including road maps for the most popular operating systems.
- A10 Networks’ new channel vision to be delivered by WhiteGold Solutions
- Fujitsu World Tour: Cloud entering third phase of maturity
- Fujitsu World Tour: Future businesses will be defined by data first
- Robert Kaye retires as Macquarie Telecom chairman
- Fujitsu World Tour: NSW government revamping for Cloud, mobile service world
- NAB shares the key ingredients to digital strategy success
- Adobe details how it's transforming into a digital-first marketing organisation
- Yahoo buys Flurry to make more money from mobile apps
- Salesforce.com's trademark infringement anything but social, lawsuit claims
- Better CIO/CFO relationships see CMO salaries soar