mapping - News, Features, and Slideshows
nearmap, a Sydney-headquartered company that provides a Web-based aerial imagery service with built-in geospatial tools, is assessing opportunities for overseas expansion in North America and the Asia Pacific, according to managing director Simon Crowther.
Developers in the games industry and other industries will soon be able to integrate the technology responsible for creating the urban vistas of recent Superman movie Man of Steel into their own applications when Californian company Esri launches the new version of CityEngine next month.
Government-owned WA electricity company Western Power has cut the cost of manually checking on swathes of its infrastructure by feeding up-to-date high-resolution aerial imagery into the company's GIS (geographic information system) setup.
Long-term remote sensing of North Korea using satellite images has helped overseas researchers build up a profile of the country including food production and military installations.
As location becomes a critical part of mobile OS success, Apple has found itself in unfamiliar territory playing catch up to Google, according to Gartner.
With the founding of ESRI 40 years ago, Jack Dangermond pioneered the business of geographic information systems (GIS). He shares his perspective on how the Web has democratized access to geographic information, and how mashups between GIS and traditional information systems are transforming the way companies view and analyze business data.
By combining business intelligence and two foundations of Web 2.0 -- search and mapping -- a police department in the US state of Kentucky has built a brand-new window into crime. This Web-based BI portal allows patrol officers to enter data -- or even pieces of data such as a few numbers from a license plate -- into a simple search interface and retrieve information from their own databases and those of neighboring towns.
- Raiders change strip to support cancer research
- Chromebook sales up 27 per cent to 7.3 million units: Gartner
- Federal Government foreshadows changes to spectrum pricing and allocation
- Seventy per cent of Australian small businesses predict growth in year ahead
- OWASP releases new security standards for app developers
- Woolworths customer leader, Jess Gill, departs, following CMO out the door
- The old billboard gets the flick as digital OOH advertising takes over
- Ad tech vendors offer new capabilities for customer targeting
- Markets to Metrics: The changing role of the CMO
- How Tesco's loyalty card transformed customer data tracking