Macintosh - News, Features, and Slideshows
Macintosh in pictures
A petition started last year that urges Apple's CEO to recall older MacBook Pro laptops to fix a graphics problem has passed the 10,000-signature mark, part of an ongoing effort to get Apple to do something.
The Mac is poised to break Apple's annual sales record this year, according to an analysis of past sales trends as well as Wall Street projections.
China's government, which banned Windows 8 from agencies' computers, has now dropped Apple's notebooks and tablets from an approved list of purchases.
Even though iPhone revenue dwarfs the Mac, Apple's computer line remains important because its average selling price has held steady for four years.
In the US alone, nearly $2 billion worth of Apple devices - Macs, iPhones, iPads and iPods - were sold on eBay over the last 12 months.
OS X Yosemite will run on about eight of every 10 Macs, a boon for customers who want to upgrade this fall, but also another proof point that "good enough" has contributed to the personal computer business's stagnation.
Apple has been able to maintain high prices and high margins for its computers even as competitors jumped into a pricing pit. But with computer sales drooping, Apple may use the opportunity to lower prices.
Tablet cannibals have taken as big a bite out of Mac growth as they have out of PCs in general, showing that Apple is not immune to the seismic shift it triggered with the iPad.
While Apple has called its Apple TV set-top box a "hobby," rival Roku has teamed up with two manufacturers to build its popular video streaming service directly into TVs. Columnist Ryan Faas weighs in on the consequences.
Apple's new desktop/laptop operating system, OS X Mavericks, looks and works a lot like its predecessor. But that doesn't mean Apple hasn't made it a better OS for users.
- Google will stop accepting new Flash ads on June 30
- FBI Director entreats tech firms to release encrypted data used in crimes and terror
- World's largest solar plant goes live; will provide power for 1.1M people
- Carriers celebrate as Telecommunications Act of 1996 turns 20
- Obama’s new cybersecurity agenda: What you need to know
- Maxus Worldwide launches new marketing tech consultancy
- Cricket Australia deploys Prime Focus Technologies solution to manage digital content assets
- Why big data is the capital driving the digital age
- 8 ways to avoid fads, gimmicks and shiny martech toys
- What the hell is the difference between ad tech and marketing tech?