Macintosh - News, Features, and Slideshows
Macintosh in pictures
A petition started last year that urges Apple's CEO to recall older MacBook Pro laptops to fix a graphics problem has passed the 10,000-signature mark, part of an ongoing effort to get Apple to do something.
The Mac is poised to break Apple's annual sales record this year, according to an analysis of past sales trends as well as Wall Street projections.
China's government, which banned Windows 8 from agencies' computers, has now dropped Apple's notebooks and tablets from an approved list of purchases.
Even though iPhone revenue dwarfs the Mac, Apple's computer line remains important because its average selling price has held steady for four years.
In the US alone, nearly $2 billion worth of Apple devices - Macs, iPhones, iPads and iPods - were sold on eBay over the last 12 months.
OS X Yosemite will run on about eight of every 10 Macs, a boon for customers who want to upgrade this fall, but also another proof point that "good enough" has contributed to the personal computer business's stagnation.
Apple has been able to maintain high prices and high margins for its computers even as competitors jumped into a pricing pit. But with computer sales drooping, Apple may use the opportunity to lower prices.
Tablet cannibals have taken as big a bite out of Mac growth as they have out of PCs in general, showing that Apple is not immune to the seismic shift it triggered with the iPad.
While Apple has called its Apple TV set-top box a "hobby," rival Roku has teamed up with two manufacturers to build its popular video streaming service directly into TVs. Columnist Ryan Faas weighs in on the consequences.
Apple's new desktop/laptop operating system, OS X Mavericks, looks and works a lot like its predecessor. But that doesn't mean Apple hasn't made it a better OS for users.
- Microsoft to business: Don't worry about Windows 10, consumers will test it
- Google Now adds data from Lyft, Airbnb and many more apps
- Outlook app for Android and iOS boosts Microsoft's mobile comeback
- MIT randomizes tasks to speed massive multicore processors
- NEC aims at Big Data 'sweet spot' with new SAP Hana tool
- Report: Marketing teams must be restructured
- How virtual reality stole the show at Sundance Film Festival
- Qantas tests virtual reality for in-flight entertainment
- Report: Data-driven marketing the norm as marketers aim for 1-to-1 customer connections
- Updated: Jeanswest sets sights on customer growth with new omni-channel capabilities