linux distribution - News, Features, and Slideshows
What differentiates UberStudent from other Linux distribution designed for tertiary education is that it delivers "pedagogical cohesion" says its creator, Stephen Ewen.
For a Linux distribution only a little over two years old, the uptake of Mageia has been impressive, with the distro now regularly being found in the top 10 of Distrowatch's rankings, along with heavyweights such as Fedora, Ubuntu and Mint.
Desktop Linux has come a long way from the good old days when getting a window manager working required opening an XFree86 configuration file in vim and figuring out why the fsck X wouldn't load.
It's not unusual for Linux distributions to have somewhat offbeat names — Ubuntu (named after an Africa-originated philosophy), Red Hat (the creator of the original distro, Marc Ewing, had a red lacrosse hat given to him by his grandfather), and the wonderful CrunchBang Linux (named after the characters usually used at the start of a script — #!).
After nine months of development, the Novell-backed openSUSE Linux distribution has released version 11.3 which adds support for netbooks, touchscreen interfaces and a cloud-based backup and synchronisation service.
Ubuntu Server is a fast, free, no-frills Linux distribution that fills a niche between utilitarian Debian and the GUI-driven and, some would argue, over-featured Novell SUSE and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Mozilla admits bug-tracker breach led to attacks against Firefox users
- Toyota funds AI research to build autonomous cars
- Uber links to sensitive ride data now expire after 48 hours
- Connected homes, smartwatches and gaming PCs dominate IFA in Berlin
- Dropbox's head of enterprise says collaboration will set it apart
- AOL acquires Millennial Media to bolster in-app and mobile smarts
- The 7 common mistakes marketing leaders are still making
- How Greenstone is uniting IT/marketing in the name of audience management
- Rakuten Marketing chalks up rapid Aussie digital advertising growth
- Paid endorsements get Xbox One marketer in trouble with FTC