- 1Password's update highlights the difference between two-step and two-factor verification
- The end for 1024-bit SSL certificates is near, Mozilla kills a few more
- Carbon Black 5.0 released to help security teams respond faster
- LightCyber rolls out new features for endpoint malware detection platform
- Mozilla puts old hardware to new use, runs Tor relays
linux distribution - News, Features, and Slideshows
What differentiates UberStudent from other Linux distribution designed for tertiary education is that it delivers "pedagogical cohesion" says its creator, Stephen Ewen.
For a Linux distribution only a little over two years old, the uptake of Mageia has been impressive, with the distro now regularly being found in the top 10 of Distrowatch's rankings, along with heavyweights such as Fedora, Ubuntu and Mint.
Desktop Linux has come a long way from the good old days when getting a window manager working required opening an XFree86 configuration file in vim and figuring out why the fsck X wouldn't load.
It's not unusual for Linux distributions to have somewhat offbeat names — Ubuntu (named after an Africa-originated philosophy), Red Hat (the creator of the original distro, Marc Ewing, had a red lacrosse hat given to him by his grandfather), and the wonderful CrunchBang Linux (named after the characters usually used at the start of a script — #!).
After nine months of development, the Novell-backed openSUSE Linux distribution has released version 11.3 which adds support for netbooks, touchscreen interfaces and a cloud-based backup and synchronisation service.
Ubuntu Server is a fast, free, no-frills Linux distribution that fills a niche between utilitarian Debian and the GUI-driven and, some would argue, over-featured Novell SUSE and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- FCC banks nearly $45 billion in landmark AWS-3 spectrum auction
- FBI consultant: Silk Road founder carried millions worth of bitcoins on laptop
- Wi-Fi issues continue to hamper OS X users despite updates
- FCC redefines advanced broadband as 25 Mbps, Republicans blow a gasket
- Scientists say AI fears unfounded, could hinder tech advances
- Qantas tests virtual reality for in-flight entertainment
- Report: Data-driven marketing the norm as marketers aim for 1-to-1 customer connections
- Updated: Jeanswest sets sights on customer growth with new omni-channel capabilities
- Mondelez A/NZ head of marketing services takes up China role
- Why social listening platforms are failing