- Geofencing could add security layer for mobile devices
- EU data protection reform 'badly broken,' civil liberty groups warn
- China defends cybersecurity demands, amid complaints from U.S.
- Blackphone 2 will be a secure smartphone for business. Mystery tablet also touted
- iPhone theft victims tricked into unlocking devices
linux distribution - News, Features, and Slideshows
What differentiates UberStudent from other Linux distribution designed for tertiary education is that it delivers "pedagogical cohesion" says its creator, Stephen Ewen.
For a Linux distribution only a little over two years old, the uptake of Mageia has been impressive, with the distro now regularly being found in the top 10 of Distrowatch's rankings, along with heavyweights such as Fedora, Ubuntu and Mint.
Desktop Linux has come a long way from the good old days when getting a window manager working required opening an XFree86 configuration file in vim and figuring out why the fsck X wouldn't load.
It's not unusual for Linux distributions to have somewhat offbeat names — Ubuntu (named after an Africa-originated philosophy), Red Hat (the creator of the original distro, Marc Ewing, had a red lacrosse hat given to him by his grandfather), and the wonderful CrunchBang Linux (named after the characters usually used at the start of a script — #!).
After nine months of development, the Novell-backed openSUSE Linux distribution has released version 11.3 which adds support for netbooks, touchscreen interfaces and a cloud-based backup and synchronisation service.
Ubuntu Server is a fast, free, no-frills Linux distribution that fills a niche between utilitarian Debian and the GUI-driven and, some would argue, over-featured Novell SUSE and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- What happens inside Amazon when there's a Xen vulnerability
- Intel CEO Krzanich: What we're doing to succeed on smartphones
- Mozilla previews 64-bit Firefox for Windows, tentatively slates stable release for mid-May
- IBM helps mobile apps meet accessibility guidelines
- SanDisk's InfiniFlash is a new storage format that will sell for under $1/GB
- Changing culture key to achieving digital agility
- OpenText CMO: Role of marketing technologist will be short lived
- Adshel to deploy beacon technology across outdoor advertising panels nationally
- CIO, CMO take top two posts at Myer following Brookes' departure
- CommBank CMO adds strategy to her executive marketing responsibilities