- FTC settles with developers of sneaky cryptocurrency mining app
- US personnel agency takes system offline after hack
- MIT tests 'software transplants' to fix buggy code
- Malwarebytes offers amnesty to pirates amid licensing overhaul
- Security Short Take: Samsung bows to pressure on Windows Update tweaks
disaster recovery - News, Features, and Slideshows
Forty regional NSW councils, led by Queanbeyan City Council, have extended their contracts with VMware as part of a multi-council deal.
Cyclone Lam struck the Northern Territory in February causing millions of dollars in damage. The 230 kilometre-per-hour gusts also threatened to destroy emergency communications systems.
LEAF Commercial Capital used to wrestle with tape backups for disaster recovery. Now the equipment leasing and finance company is using a software-based service from Evolve IP for disaster recovery.
In my organization we manage almost all IT in-house, including the LAN, which is highly redundant. We have 35 Floor Wiring Concentrators around campus, each with around 300 active ports, and the concentrators have dual Gigabit uplinks to network cores in two data centers that are 300 meters apart. The data centers are linked by multiple 10Gb links, and each is connected to the Internet via two trunks that follow different paths.
Data loss and downtime has cost Australian organisations around $65.5 billion (US$55 billion) in the last 12 months, according to a new survey.
Always expect the unexpected: You never know when disaster might strike and you need to have a plan to keep your business operating.
As the U.S. has discovered, it only takes a few cases of Ebola to turn things upside down.
Tasmanian bulk water authority TasWater is implementing tiered storage to better manage its growing data volumes.
Back-to-back solar flares, including one that received the highest classification of "X-Class," are striking the earth. U.S. scientists say electronics shouldn't be hurt, but there could be some GPS issues.
The UC Berkeley Seismological Laboratory issued an alert about the recent earthquake in California's Napa Valley 10 seconds before it struck. That may not seem like much time -- unless you're a child of the 1950s and 1960s who was trained in school to duck and cover the second you saw a large bright nuclear flash.
Sunday's 6.0 earthquake in Napa County, Calif. caused power surges that may have led to much of the damage to computers in homes and small businesses, according to computer technicians in Napa.
Fully 70% of federal agencies experienced downtime of 30 minutes or more in a recent one-month period.
IBM is about to cut the ribbon officially opening two new state-of-the-art datacentres intended to provide disaster recovery and resiliency services, one in the Raleigh, N.C. area and other in Mumbai, India.
Australia's record of natural disasters — which can run the gamut from bushfires to floods and cyclones — present challenges for data centre operators, who are charged with keeping their customers' gear safe even in extreme events.
The FCC says the public should not rely on text messages to reach 911 in emergencies because the technology is only available to 59 of the more than 6,000 emergency communications centers nationwide.
- Gazal Telecom ends up on ASIC wind up list
- Technology is not the biggest security problem: CompTIA
- Huawei Australia and the Canberra Raiders get behind Bowel Cancer Australia
- Public safety technology is central to becoming a smart city: Hitachi Data Systems
- Dropbox and Xero team up to increase productivity for small businesses
- Report: Aussie CMOs strive for customer centricity but hindered by pace of change
- Microsoft hands some of the reins for its display ad business to AOL
- Why Open Colleges, Virgin Mobile are backing a new tool for brand advocacy
- Digital marketers look for behavioral triggers
- Can brand builders do well and do good?