- Pwn2Own contest puts $75,000 bounty on VMware Workstation bypass
- White-hat hackers key to securing connected cars
- Roses are red, violets are blue, hand over your cash or I promise we're through
- Heightened security threat could follow Dallas Buyers Club anti-piracy defeat
- Hackers of two Ukrainian utilities probably hit mining and railroad targets, too
Data Center - News, Features, and Slideshows
NextDC will seek to raise at least $70 million through an unsecured notes offering, the data centre company announced this morning. The money will be used to fund a second Brisbane data centre, dubbed B2.
NextDC (ASX: NXT) has reported revenue of $60.9 million for the full year ending 30 June 2015, up from FY14 revenue of $30.4 million.
The announcement Monday that saw Google reorganize under the banner of new holding company Alphabet was Big News, we all seem to agree, but it's much less clear exactly what kind of Big News it is.
A federal judge dismissed Cisco's indirect infringement claims against Arista Networks, a complaint that accompanied <a href="http://www.networkworld.com/article/2856972/cisco-subnet/arista-fires-back-at-ciscos-suits.html">a patent and copyright infringement case</a> against its data center rival.
IBM's Power Systems division which sells servers and systems based on the Power system architecture, as opposed to the Intel-based x86 architecture used in most personal computers had been in free-fall for some time, posting year-on-year revenue declines of up to 37% per quarter over the past couple of years. According to the conventional wisdom, Power was another victim along with SPARC and, to a lesser extent, ARM of the inexorable march of the commodity x86 server.
Google is building a $600 million data center on the grounds of a soon-to-close coal plant in northeastern Alabama. The project may create an iconic image of the shifts in the economy.
A new study says that 30% of all physical servers in data centers are comatose, or are using energy but delivering no useful information. What's remarkable is that that percentage hasn't changed since 2008, when a separate study showed the same thing.
As cloud computing, big data and the deployment of mega-scale data centers accelerates, organizations need to continually recalibrate and evolve the network. This challenge has led to the development of new technologies and standards designed to increase and optimize network capacity, security and flexibility, all while keeping a lid on cost. Here are the top five trends as we see them:
HP has entered into an arrangement with Arista Networks to market Arista's datacentre switches along with HP converged IT infrastructure products.
Many data centers today inventory physical assets the same way grocery stores track food, with barcodes and scanners. It's not efficient and a certain percentage of assets will become "lost" because asset databases haven't been updated.
In 2014, Huawei generated CNY 288,197 million (US$46.5 billion), a year-over-year (YoY) growth of 20.6%. Of that, Huawei invested over 14% of its revenue back into research and development.
Enterprises in Australia are forecast to spend $2.5 billion on data centre systems this year, slightly up on $2.3 billion in 2014 according to Gartner.
Communications and data services provider CenturyLink has opened a new data center that gets 85% of its power from nearby dams.
Hosting provider Rackspace this morning announced it would open up a secondary data centre in Sydney to offer disaster recovery capabilities and geo-redundancy for its clients.
Equinix today announced it will open a fourth data centre in Sydney.
- Upgrading to SAP Hana? This new tool can help prepare your code
- The eyes have it: How one startup aims to change the future of VR
- Gaming on Linux, Steam machines set to soar with DirectX competitor Vulkan
- Most enterprises plan to boost cloud use this year
- Google didn't abuse its position in Streetmap case, UK court rules
- Forrester: Marketers using an average of 5 social channels for marketing
- Innovation challenge results in new customer ordering app prototype for Village Cinemas
- CMO interview: The new digital travel experience
- CMO's top 10 martech stories for the week - 11 February
- Cronulla Sharks tackles marketing automation