A big theme at this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES) has been the connected home. There are televisions connected to the Cloud; refrigerators connected to the Internet; heating, lighting and security systems connected to sensors and monitors. And IBM wants all of those devices to be connected to its Cloud.
CES-2013 - News, Features, and Slideshows
ZTE and Huawei took home most of the device-related headlines from this year's International CES in Las Vegas, which didn't exactly provide an earthshaking amount of Android news for a show of its size. Nevertheless, the companies both demonstrated strong new offerings, and other players, including Samsung and Sony, made their own hardware-related waves.
As old CES hands like our own Keith Shaw advised, Tuesday was orders of magnitude more busy than Monday. Now the show had a crush of people to go with its gargantuan physical scale. All the booths were put together and running, everyone's gear was on display - the effect was overwhelming.
CES is one of the few big techie events that I was at least moderately familiar with before I started working here at Network World, less than a year ago. I always thought of it as the nerd playground to end all nerd playgrounds, with years-from-release technology available to the eager gadgeteer.
Ultrabooks made a big splash at last year's CES, but sales over the course of 2012 were disappointing. Intel yesterday made a determined bid to change all that.
- 6 cities | 20 exhibitors | International & local keynotes | Hear from Mark Loveless 'Simple Nomad' & Jeff Lanza Former FBI - Save your seat at CSO Perspectives Roadshow
- Participate in this market research and go into the draw to win a Lego Death Star, (valued at $999).
- Discover security insights, key findings, and the latest cybersecurity threats taken from threat intelligence. Access the full report now
- Answer 5 quick questions and you could win a Lego Mindstorm EV3, (valued at $499).
- Top insights from the Cisco Annual Cyber Security Report 2017. Watch Video
- WIN a HTC Vive Kit valued at $1399, take this 3 minute survey for your chance to WIN!