Since restarting in June after a two-year upgrade, CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has been recording about 3GB of data per second, or about 25 petabytes -- that's 25 million gigabytes -- of data per year.
CERN - News, Features, and Slideshows
The Large Hadron Collider, the atom smasher that has hunted for antimatter and the elusive Higgs boson, <a href="http://www.computerworld.com/article/2495028/emerging-technology/higgs-hunt-halts-with-cern-collider-down-for-two-year-upgrade.html">shut down in February 2013</a> for an overhaul and upgrade. Now, scientists are getting ready to fire up the collider, which has been called "one of the greatest engineering milestones of mankind," again.
Scientists are prepping the Large Hadron Collider for the start of its third two-year run next year.
As the 25th anniversary of the World Wide Web approaches, 87% of U.S. adults use the Internet, according to a Pew Research Center survey.
Scientists at the CERN, or European Organization for Nuclear Research, center in Switzerland say say they've made a "significant step" in the hunt for antimatter.
A network of hundreds of thousands of home computer users recently discovered a rare celestial object by donating their computers' downtime to a worthy cause.
- Next-generation SIEM turns low-level security monitoring for high-level business goals
- AISA 2016 | Hear from Bruce Schneier, David Lacey, Rik Ferguson and many more | 18-20th October Register Today
- As networks evolve, visibility remains key to managing IT-security risk in business terms
- Join Skeeve Stevens, Stanley Shanapinda, and more on how to manage metadata to maximise your ability to detect and prevent an attack. Register
- Test Your Knowledge of Network Encryption
- Join special guest Jeff Lanza, Retired FBI Agent (USA), Ty Miller, Mark Gregory & Andy Solterbeck for a discussion on ransomware security
- New Destination Gigamon Security Resources IS HERE
- CLOUDSEC2016 - Timothy Wallach, Cyber Taskforce FBI (USA) speaks on the status & evolution of global cybercrime. Save your seat
- Start your cloud journey. Register now and learn a wide range of AWS cloud solutions covered in the monthly AWS Webinar Series.
- Caution: That SSL Blind Spot is Growing
- See Your Traffic for What It Really Is
- Ransomware explosion is the latest security wakeup call for CxOs
- The Future is Encrypted. Manage It.