- Layered defenses largely fail to block exploits, says NSS
- Researchers warn of increased Zeus malware activity this year
- AusCERT 2013: Four dissenters to spur next year's security debates
- AusCERT 2013: Kill the password, says Mozilla
- AusCERT 2013: Unmanaged, unknown privileged logins opening the door for APTs: Cyber-Ark
Mac OS X Power Tools Second Edition
—Christopher Breen, Mac 911 Columnist, MacWorld Magazine
Mac Expert Dan Frakes' Turns You Into a Power User
The latest version of Mac OS X (v10.3, Panther) is here, and noted expert Dan Frakes has once again worked day and night to discover and document the best ways for Mac users of all levels of experience to get things done. This completely revised and updated second edition of Mac OS X Power Tools provides tips, shortcuts, and step-by-step solutions to equip you with the most essential insights and knowledge. With this book at your side and your Mac in front of you, you'll understand Mac OS X like never before, saving time, avoiding headaches, and transforming OS X into one very productive cat.
- Understanding user accounts and permissions
- Taking control of the startup and login processes
- Embracing and extending Finder functionality
- Using the Dock and Dock replacements
- Working with applications
- Streamlining Mac OS and third-party installations
- Making the most of Classic
- Improving Web surfing and network connectivity
- Sharing files and connecting to servers
- Taking advantage of OS X's advanced printing architecture
- Strengthening system security
- Keeping Mac OS X in tip-top shape
- Controlling your Mac remotely
- Taking advantage of OS X's Unix base
Visit the author's website at www.macosxpowertools.com/
Table of Contents
Part 1: Setup, Startup, and Installing.
Chapter 1: The Power of Permissions: Understanding Users and Unix Organization.
Chapter 2: Sensational Setup.
Chapter 3: Subjugating Startup and Leveraging Login.
Chapter 4: Installations, Inc..
Part 2: Files, Finders, Docks, and Apps (Including Classic).
Chapter 5: Finagle Files and Foil Finder Frustration.
Chapter 6: Developing a Dynamite Dock.
Chapter 7: Application Aptitude.
Chapter 8: Clobbering Classic.
Part 3: The Internet, Networking, Sharing, and Printing.
Chapter 9: Networking Notables and Internet Illuminations.
Chapter 10: Stellar Sharing Strategies.
Chapter 11: Connection Convenience and Remote Control.
Part 4: Mastering Your Mac—Security, Maintenance, and Unix.
Chapter 13: Strengthening System Security and Fine-Tuning Firewalls.
Chapter 14: Mac Maintenance and Administrative Actions.
Chapter 15: Utilizing Unix.
Appendix A: Multiple Mounts, Various Volumes, and Divided Disks.
Many organisations are evaluating a new security model based upon IT risk management best practices. This is a good idea, but not enough for today’s dynamic and malevolent threat landscape. To keep up with IT changes and external threats, large organisations need to embrace two new security practices: real-time risk management for day-to-day security adjustments and real-time threat management to detect and remediate sophisticated, stealthy, and damaging security breaches (i.e., advanced persistent threats, or APTs). Learn more.
DriverScanner scans your computer and provides you with a list of drivers that need to be updated. All you have to do, then, is simply ...
Allianz Shared Infrastructure Services SE (ASIC) wanted to replace its current suite of management tools, some of which had been developed in-house, with a standard solution for the management of 600 network components in its data centre, in order to reduce costs and further improve quality. Find out what approach they took download today.
- FTTest EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Consulting ManagerNSW
- FTJob Title: Mac Systems/ Enterprise Systems EngineerNZ
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTWeb Analyst - WebTrendsVIC
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTFlash / ActionScript Developer - ContractNSW
- Analytics and personalisation drive leading marketer behaviour: Report
- Innovation and big data take centre stage during CMO panel
- Twitter targets second screen interaction with Amplify advertising partnerships
- Facebook talks hyper-targeting, analytics and cross-platform at AANA event
- Tapping into social experience: Tourism Australia