High-performance Oracle: Proven Methods for Achieving Optimum Performance and Availability
-Aki Ratner, President, Precise Software Solutions
Ensuring high-performance and continuous availability of Oracle software is a key focus of database managers. At least a dozen books address the subject of "performance tuning"-- that is, how to fine-tune the Oracle database for its greatest processing efficiency. Geoff Ingram argues that this approach simply isn't enough. He believes that performance needs to be addressed right from the design stage, and it needs to cover the entire system--not just the database.
High-Performance Oracle is a hands-on book, loaded with tips and techniques for ensuring that the entire Oracle database system runs efficiently and doesn't break down. Written for Oracle developers and DBAs, and covering both Oracle8i and Oracle9i, the book goes beyond traditional performance-tuning books and covers the key techniques for ensuring 24/7 performance and availability of the complete Oracle system.
The book provides practical solutions for:
* Choosing physical layout for ease of administration and efficient use of space
* Managing indexes, including detecting unused indexes and automating rebuilds
* SQL and system tuning using the powerful new features in Oracle9i Release 2
* Improving SQL performance without modifying code
* Running Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) for performance and availability
* Protecting data using Recover Manager (RMAN), and physical and logical standby databases
The companion Web site provides the complete source code for examples in the book, updates on techniques, and additional documentation for optimizing your Oracle system.
Table of Contents
PART ONE: FUNDAMENTALS OF AN ORACLE CONFIGURATION.
Chapter 1- Installing Oracle.
Chapter 2- Database Creation.
Chapter 3- Configuring Oracle Networking.
Chapter 4- Environment Standards and Tools.
Chapter 5- Securing your Database.
PART TWO: DESIGNING FAST AND SUPPORTABLE APPLICATIONS.
Chapter 6- Designing Supportable Applications.
Chapter 7- Choosing Third Party Software.
PART THREE: PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT AND TUNING TECHNIQUES.
Chapter 8- End-to-End Performance Management.
Chapter 9- Fundamentals of SQL Tuning.
Chapter 10- Collecting and Using Optimizer Statistics.
Chapter 11- Partitioning.
Chapter 12- Managing Indexes.
Chapter 13- Managing Space Growth.
Chapter 14- Stress Testing and Benchmarks.
Chapter 15- Server Consolidation and Resource Management.
Chapter 16- Selecting and Using Performance Management Tools.
PART FOUR: Backup, Restore, and Recovery.
Chapter 17- Fundamentals of Oracle Recovery.
Chapter 18- Backup and Recovery Using RMAN.
Chapter 19- Backup and Restore Using Export and Import.
PART FIVE: HIGH AVAILABILITY SOLUTIONS.
Chapter 20- VERITAS High Availability for Oracle.
Chapter 21- Oracle Replication.
Chapter 22- Oracle Real Application Clusters.
Chapter 23- Protecting Data Using Standby Databases.
PART SIX: Maintaining the Oracle System.
Chapter 24- Guidelines for Healthchecks and Monitoring.
Chapter 25- Auditing Techniques.
Chapter 26- Migration and Upgrade.
Chapter 27- Working Effectively with Oracle Support.
Chapter 28- Troubleshooting Oracle DBMS Problems.
Organizations that are looking for security features including identity management, encryption and access control — and at the same time want to take advantage of the cost and flexibility benefits of the cloud —might check into security-as-a-service offerings available now from several vendors. Download now to find out more.
UltraISO is an ISO CD/DVD image file tool that creates, edits and converts. It is also a bootable CD/DVD maker that has the ability to ...
Allianz Shared Infrastructure Services SE (ASIC) wanted to replace its current suite of management tools, some of which had been developed in-house, with a standard solution for the management of 600 network components in its data centre, in order to reduce costs and further improve quality. Find out what approach they took download today.
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTTest EngineerVIC
- FTJob Title: Mac Systems/ Enterprise Systems EngineerNZ
- FTWeb Analyst - WebTrendsVIC
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTFlash / ActionScript Developer - ContractNSW
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Look beyond Cloud infrastructure, says Liang
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Christiancen highlights the need for collaboration
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Devices will change how people work, says Duursma
- IN PICTURES: Citrix Solutions expo (49 photos)
- IN PICTURES: Citrix parties one more night with Maroon 5 ( +57 photos)
- Analytics and personalisation drive leading marketer behaviour: Report
- Innovation and big data take centre stage during CMO panel
- Twitter targets second screen interaction with Amplify advertising partnerships
- Facebook talks hyper-targeting, analytics and cross-platform at AANA event
- Tapping into social experience: Tourism Australia