Active Server Pages for Dummies, 2nd Edition
You may be a Web site or intranet developer for a company, or the owner of a personal or small business Web site, or a programmer who wants to get in on all the hot new technologies. In any case, you're always looking for ways to make your job easier and your Web site cooler. You probably
- Know how to use Windows NT or Windows 95/98 and your web server software, at least well enough to get around.
- Are familiar with HTML and have played around with some advanced tags.
- Have worked with a macro language such as you'd find in a spreadsheet or other application.
- Have actually done some programming in Java, Visual Basic, C, or COBOL.
But don't worry. To get the most out of this book, you don't have to be a programmer or an HTML guru. Active Server Pages makes activating your Web site easy.
In Active Server Pages For Dummies, you'll discover
- What Active Server Pages is and how it fits into the world of CGI, ISAPI, ActiveX controls, and all the other Internet stuff that promises to make your Web site more exciting.
- What you need to know about the programming languages.
- How to use objects that are a part of your web server to get all sorts of information and to change the way things work.
- How to access database information from a Web page.
- What happens after you start to pull together the capabilities to create real Web applications.
Active Server Pages is easy. You've heard that said before, only to be overwhelmed with enough confusing gibberish to choke a camel. But with this guide, you can believe it.
Table of Contents
PART I: Getting Started.
Chapter 1: So What's an Active Server Page?
Chapter 2: Just How Easy Is ASP?
PART II: Speaking Like a Native.
Chapter 3: Understanding VBScript Basics.
Chapter 4: Real VBScript Programming.
Chapter 5: JScript for Geeks.
PART III: Getting to Know Your Objects.
Chapter 6: Objects, Objects Everywhere!
Chapter 7: Using Server Objects.
Chapter 8: Creating ASP Applications.
Chapter 9: Using the Included Server Components.
PART IV: Accessing the Database.
Chapter 10: Accessing a Database from ASP.
Chapter 11: Updating the Database.
PART V: Really Cool ASP Applications.
Chapter 12: The Cafe: Creating a Real-Time Chat Room.
Chapter 13: Classy Classifieds.
PART VI: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 14: The Ten Best Places to Look When You Have a Question.
Chapter 15: The Ten Coolest Web Sites for ASP Developers.
Chapter 16: Ten Interesting Things That Server Components Can Do for You.
PART VII: Appendixes.
Appendix A: Introducing Microsoft Visual InterDev.
Appendix B: A Crash Course in Database Basics.
Appendix C: Creating Databases and Tables in Microsoft Access.
Appendix D: Troubleshooting Your ASP Projects.
Appendix E: About the CD.
IDG Books Worldwide End-User License Agreement.
Book Registration Information.
Integrated Computing Platforms, such as EMC VSPEX RAs, provide a solution by eliminating the time (and cost) of designing, testing, and engineering integrated environments with components built independently of one another. These validated architectures are ready for production environments upon delivery, and offer a single point of support should IT require it. Learn more on how a leading IT vendor has aligned product innovation with an IT market need to improve efficiency, performance, and value for SMBs.
Dropbox is a sharing tool that allows you to synchronize your documents, as well share files with others. It automatically uploads the files to the ...
Allianz Shared Infrastructure Services SE (ASIC) wanted to replace its current suite of management tools, some of which had been developed in-house, with a standard solution for the management of 600 network components in its data centre, in order to reduce costs and further improve quality. Find out what approach they took download today.
- FTTest EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTJob Title: Mac Systems/ Enterprise Systems EngineerNZ
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTWeb Analyst - WebTrendsVIC
- FTFlash / ActionScript Developer - ContractNSW
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Look beyond Cloud infrastructure, says Liang
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Christiancen highlights the need for collaboration
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Devices will change how people work, says Duursma
- IN PICTURES: Citrix Solutions expo (49 photos)
- IN PICTURES: Citrix parties one more night with Maroon 5 ( +57 photos)
- Analytics and personalisation drive leading marketer behaviour: Report
- Innovation and big data take centre stage during CMO panel
- Twitter targets second screen interaction with Amplify advertising partnerships
- Facebook talks hyper-targeting, analytics and cross-platform at AANA event
- Tapping into social experience: Tourism Australia