The latest numbers on commercial drones, including FAA Section 333 exemptions and venture funding
Stories by Bob Brown
The Federal Aviation Administration has granted approval for more than 5,000 so-called Section 333 exemptions to operate commercial drones over the past year, and among those getting the go ahead are familiar names in the enterprise IT and networking market.
Enterprise IT vendors didn't have much to say about commercial drones just 18 months ago, but now Cisco, AT&T, Verizon and others are making their moves.
Cisco sees network infrastructure, collaboration, security and other opportunities in commercial drones
With unmanned aerial vehicles (i.e., drones) here to stay, entrepreneurs are pouncing on the opportunity to safeguard people from having these flying machines drop in unexpectedly and venture capitalists are buying in.
Cognitive computing, artificial intelligence and machine learning are here to stay and promise to benefit both consumers and the organizations that exploit these advanced technologies.
A pair of studies released this week shed light on challenges -- including career advancement and equal pay -- facing women in technology.
It's good to be an Internet of Things startup these days, as investments from Cisco, Nokia, Verizon and others show. Here's a look at 10 IoT companies that could make an impact on the consumer and/or enterprise market.
Verizon Ventures says that while consumer Internet of Things startups were all the rage in 2014 and continue to be popular among investors, enterprise IoT newcomers have become even hotter properties among venture capitalists over the past two years, with enterprise IoT investment expected to double or triple that of consumer IoT in 2016.
We’ve all become aware of the dangers that drivers preoccupied with their cellphones cause on the roads and most have also probably seen plenty of “pedtextrians” endangering themselves by paying way more attention to their phones than their surroundings. But phone-related injuries go way beyond these two scenarios – we’re talking everything from ringing phones that supposedly scare dogs and cats into biting people to people being really dumb (and gross) about where they stick their smartphones.
Cisco, which kicked off 2016 with news that the leader of its engineering troops would soon be leaving the company, has now undertaken a major reorganization of that same group and disclosed another high-profile departure.
Cloud Wi-Fi startups Cloud4Wi and Relay2 share news about new or updated offerings aimed at helping organizations get more from their wireless networks.
The FCC has slapped hotels and other organizations with nearly $2.1 million in fines since the fall of 2014 for blocking patrons’ portable Wi-Fi hotspots in the name of IT security, or more likely, to gouge customers for Internet service. But Network World’s examination of more than a year’s worth of consumer complaints to the FCC about Wi-Fi jamming shows that not all venue operators are getting the message.
The Google I/O 2016 website is now live for the always sold-out developers' conference, and registration for the application lottery opens on March 8. The May 18-20 event will take place at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, where the event started 10 years ago.
Whitfield Diffie and Martin Hellman, whose names have been linked since their seminal 1976 paper introduced the concepts of public key encryption and digital signatures, have been named winners of the 2015 ACM A.M. Turing Award (a.k.a., the "Nobel Prize of Computing").
- Digital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects) NSW
- OPEN_ASAP_Network Security Administrator ACT
- Senior Business Analyst NSW
- Project Specialist VIC
- Contract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmt Asia
- Operations Systems Support Manager NSW
- Senior Project Manager NSW
- Senior Team Leader Applications Support ACT
- Business Analyst, Advice NSW
- Senior Business Analyst, Contributions Tax NSW
- Help us better understand the trends and major practices related to technology use in STEM education. Take this two minute survey NOW.
- Hear from those who have been there, done it and transformed their business for the better with AWS Cloud. View their stories and other informative AWS sessions On-Demand.
- F5 Security Hub NEW Look - Try us out today!
- APJ businesses think they will be breached: Here's why: Read the article NOW
- NEW Gigamon Transform Security Zone - Find out more now!
- More than 270,000 customers worldwide trust Fortinet to protect their businesses. Learn more.