To save the Web, should you stop using ad blockers?
Stories by Preston Gralla
Long available in rivals such as Google Docs, real-time collaborative editing finally comes to Microsoft Office, along with a handful of other useful improvements.
With the new Office 2016 for Mac, Microsoft has finally brought the OS X version of its office suite up to the standards of the Windows product. We take a close look at the preview.
It’s been denounced in the Russian parliament and reviled as a privacy nightmare — all for doing things that are common to all modern OSs.
There are a lot of alarms going off about Windows 10's effect on your security and privacy. We look at the four top concerns to find out whether they're true or not, and tell you what you can do about them.
Many Windows PCs are sold laden with unnecessary -- or even harmful -- software. We look at what you might find on your new system and how to get rid of it.
The company wants us to believe that Universal apps — usable on all Windows 10 devices — will save the day for Windows Phone. It’s already clear that won’t be happening.
Windows 10 has been one of the most anticipated Windows releases in Microsoft history -- especially given the <a href="http://www.computerworld.com/article/2948467/emerging-technology/good-riddance-windows-8.html">issues with Windows 8</a>, the result of Microsoft's decision to build an operating system that works on both touch and non-touch systems.
Computerworld contributing writer/reviewer Preston Gralla summarizes three features of Windows 10 that he likes and two features he doesn't like. The new operating system from Microsoft launches for consumers on Wednesday, July 29.
Finally, an operating system from Microsoft you can love.
Windows 10 is here - and many users (especially those who have been wrestling with Windows 8) are probably eager to upgrade. But even if you can get it now -- the upgrade will be sent first to <a href="http://www.computerworld.com/article/2944212/microsoft-windows/windows-10-release-date-delayed-itbwcw.html">those who signed up for the Windows Insider beta program</a> and then in "slow waves" to everyone else -- you may want to hold off.
The old days of straightforward antivirus software packages are gone -- victim of a changing threat scene in which the dangers are more complex than ever and come from multiple sources.
Once upon a time, Symantec's brand of Norton security software had one of the most confusing lineups around -- products included Norton 360, <a href="http://www.computerworld.com/article/2488677/application-security/7-all-in-one-security-suites-anti-malware-for-all-your-devices.html?nsdr=true&page=5">Norton 360 Multi-Device</a>, Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security. Trying to decide which product was the best for you -- not to mention the best priced -- was no picnic.
McAfee LiveSafe is the best product in McAfee's sizable security portfolio. Its suite offers protection for an unlimited number of Windows PCs, Macs and Android and iOS devices, along with a Web dashboard. There's 1TB of cloud-based storage as well. The whole thing is available for $60 per year.
You've heard the hype: The Internet of Things (IoT) will transform the way we live and work, bring us untold benefits like cutting our utility bills and warning us when the milk has gone sour, and be the engine for the next great economic boom. <a href="http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/business_technology/The_Internet_of_Things_The_value_of_digitizing_the_physical_world">McKinsey claims</a>, for example, that the IoT could have an impact of $11.1 trillion per year by 2025 -- about 11% of the world economy, by McKinsey's estimate.
- Systems Engineer - NV2 ACT
- Technical Specialist - IP Network Design - Juniper MX NSW
- AX Lead Functional Consultant NSW
- Senior Business Analyst VIC
- Infrastructure Specialist - Sec Ops Network & OS Asia
- Change manager/Change Lead NSW
- IT Security Consultant - NSW
- Senior Business Analyst VIC
- Linux System Engineers NSW
- Linux Infrastructure Engineer VIC
- Hear from those who have been there, done it and transformed their business for the better with AWS Cloud. View their stories and other informative AWS sessions On-Demand.
- NEW Gigamon Transform Security Zone - Find out more now!
- APJ businesses think they will be breached: Here's why: Read the article NOW
- More than 270,000 customers worldwide trust Fortinet to protect their businesses. Learn more.
- F5 Security Hub NEW Look - Try us out today!
- Help us better understand the trends and major practices related to technology use in STEM education. Take this two minute survey NOW.