A new version of Westpac's 'Westpac Live' mobile app will allow customers to log in using their fingerprint on a range of Android and iOS devices, the bank announced today.
The bank said that support for biometric authentication would be rolled out in January.
Logging in using a fingerprint will be supported on the Android-based Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note 4, as well as Apple's iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
"Over half of our digitally active customers are using mobile banking and now doing more than $50 billion worth of transactions each year," Jason Yetton, group executive, Westpac Retail, said in a statement.
Westpac Group CEO Gail Kelly, who will leave her role in February, said earlier this year that 2.7 million of the bank's customers were using the platform.
- St George CIO banks on ‘mobile only’
- Australian Internet Security Initiative portal launched to help ISPs
- Government prioritises 'open access' in Mobile Black Spot program
- In brief: Warning over malware-laced 'Sydney ISIS attack' emails
- Silverlight exploits up, Java down, Cisco reports
- Westpac signs up to Aus Post Digital Mailbox
- Customs biometrics to be ramped up by 2020