The draft Australian Privacy Principle (APP) guidelines have been released for public feedback by the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).
The following APPs have been released for public consultation:
- APP 1 – open and transparent management of personal information
- APP 2 – anonymity and pseudonymity
- APP 3 – collection of solicited personal information
- APP 4 – dealing with unsolicited personal information
- APP 5 – notification of the collection of personal information.
“We encourage those with an interest in privacy and best practice personal information handling to consider these guidelines and give us their views so that we can arrive at guidance that is as useful as possible,” McMillan said in a statement.
Australian Privacy Commissioner Timothy Pilgrim added that the new laws require government agencies and private sector organisations to be more open and transparent about management of personal information.
“This will give people a better understanding of how their information will be handled so that they can make an informed decision about interacting with the entities covered by the Privacy Act,” he said.
Submissions can be sent to email@example.com. The deadline for replies is 20 September 2013.
Follow Hamish Barwick on Twitter: @HamishBarwick