The Boost Mobile website server was temporarily overwhelmed today by a traffic spike following the operator’s launch of new 3G prepaid plans on the Telstra network. Visitors to the site were able to register as of yesterday afternoon.
“There has been an overwhelming response which has caused the site to slow down and timeout for some customers,” a Boost Mobile spokesman said.
The problems occurred after Boost announced details of new plans coming March 1 that ride on the Telstra Next G network. Boost had previously used the Optus 3G network, but in October announced it would be moving networks.
Boost announced three rate plans, all of which include unlimited talk, text and MMS to standard national numbers. A $10 plan provides up to 500MB of data in a five-day period. A $20 plan includes 1GB of data for a 15-day period. And a $40 plan includes 3GB of data for a 30-day period.
Data is charged in 1MB increments and will be rounded to the nearest MB at the end of each data session.
The service doesn’t go live until March 1, but Boost has a pre-order promotion that gives buyers a golden SIM card and $10 of free credit.
Boost Mobile has said that its existing customers will remain on the Optus network.
Follow Adam Bender on Twitter: @WatchAdam