Victorian data centre investment hits $500 million: Rich-Phillips
- 31 October, 2012 11:32
Leighton Contractors managing director, Craig Laslett, and Victoria Minister for Technology, Gordon Rich-Phillips, at the opening of Metronode's Melbourne data centre in August 2012.
More than half a billion dollars has been invested in data centres in Victoria since December 2010 with the state becoming an “important hub”, according to its technology minister Gordon Rich-Phillips.
Speaking at DatacentreDynamics’ Converged Melbourne 2012 conference today, he told delegates that data centres, racks, servers, networks, security and managed services are “at the heart” of ensuring that business, government and the public can access information safely 24 hours a day.
newAvoiding the data centre property trap|new]]
“We have facilitated several projects including openings for vendors Metronode and NextDC, an expansion of Fujitsu’s Noble Park facility and events for Interactive and Digital Realty,” Rich-Phillips said in a statement.
According to the minister, the construction, maintenance and servicing of these facilities delivers substantial economic benefits for Victoria and stimulates activity in local communities.
In addition, during 2011 the Coalition government released a $150 million suite of technology plans to support the development of Victoria’s technology capabilities.
“Part of this included an $85 million ICT plan to support the continuing growth, development and global competitiveness of Victoria’s ICT industry,” Rich-Philips said.
“The Coalition government will work to drive the effective use of ICT across the economy and society and ensure that businesses working in other sectors are able to take full advantage of advances in ICT to innovate.”
Follow Hamish Barwick on Twitter: @HamishBarwick
Join the Computerworld Australia group on Linkedin. The group is open to IT Directors, IT Managers, Infrastructure Managers, Network Managers, Security Managers, Communications Managers.
- Australian data centre market requires $8 billion construction boost: IDC
- Global data centre investment hits $US105 billion
- Avoiding the data centre property trap
- In pictures: Metronode opens M2 data centre in Melbourne
- In pictures: NextDC’s M1 data centre
- In pictures: Fujitsu celebrates data centre re-opening with sake
- Victoria ups the stakes in ICT investment
- Twitter: @HamishBarwick
- Twitter: @CIO_Australia
- Facebook: CIO Australia
- LinkedIn: CIO Australia
- NAB plans customer migration to NextGen platform
- A/NZ College of Anaesthetists to expand campus security monitoring
- Credit Union Australia signs Good Technology to secure 400 devices
- Taxi startup ingogo hails $3.4 million in latest funding round
- Updated: Federal Court dismisses Aust Post trade mark appeal
Amazon drones are 'fantasy,' says eBay CEO
Training critical to Australia tapping broadband potential: CSIRO
US faces major Internet image problem, former gov't official says
Why CIOs stick with cloud computing despite NSA snooping scandal
Telstra hits 300 Mbps in LTE-A trial