Vent It: Is the Govt rushing the NBN build?

Is Stephen Conroy's short time line for interested builders of the National Broadband Network to submit their proposals a cause for concern?

Last Month the Department of Broadband Communications and the Digital Economy issued a Request for Proposal for its $4.7 billion Fibre-to-the-Node (FttN) network. Proposals need to be submitted by July 25 and the winner will be announced in October.

However, many of the interested parties have argued that the timeframe is far too short. On Thursday, shadow communications minister Bruce Billson said the Opposition will use its position to demand the government provide more details about its FttN plans, including regulation, wholesale access, architecture, and regional coverage.

"We won't oppose the bill but we will seek to canvas missing information [in the RFP]," Billson said.

The government's fibre broadband purse could be $2 billion lighter following a coalition announcement that it will oppose legislation to pool the Communications Fund into the national broadband network coffers.

Is the government rushing the tender process for such a critical piece of infrastructure? Will the end result be a half-baked broadband network? What do you think?

Join the Computerworld newsletter!

Error: Please check your email address.

More about BillBillion

CIO
ARN
Techworld
CMO